Children's Ministry During COVID-19
The Children's Ministry is continuing virtually during the current pandemic. Children's Chapel lessons are being uploaded onto the St. John's Facebook page and YouTube channel each Sunday at 2:00 p.m. The lessons feature Ms. Cheryl reading lessons and teaching the word virtually. At 10:00 a.m., Ms. Cheryl goes live on the church Facebook page with Devotions and Prayers for Families and Individuals. To connect with the Children's Ministry during this time, contact Cheryl Smith, Children and Family Ministries Director, by emailing [email protected] or call the church office at (830) 625-2532.
St. John's Children's Ministry
The Children’s Sunday School offers age-appropriate lessons and activities that help to teach about Christ and to develop a relationship with him. Sunday School is usually held at 10:00 a.m the Education Building; however, due to an abundance of caution regarding COVID-19, Children’s Chapel is posted on Facebook and the church website at 2:00 p.m. each Sunday.
We love having children in our worship and work to provide great care for them while they are at St. John’s.
Here are a few tips to help prepare your child for worship:
- Make sure your child wears a name tag! If you don’t have one please let us know and we will make one. If you are visiting us, please ask our greeters for name tags for the whole family.
- Activity bags are available under the Welcome Table (name tag table) in the Narthex for younger children to use during service. It’s okay to let your child color during church – they are paying more attention than you think!! Pick one up on your way in to service and return it on your way out.
- A nursery is available in the Education Building from 8:30 a.m. until the end of the 11:00 a.m. service each Sunday morning for infants and children through the age of three.
- During the Peace, remember to pass the Peace to your child and to the other children around you saying, “Peace be with you.” Invite your children to do the same.
- After Announcements, there is a time for recognizing birthdays. Be sure to bring your child forward to bless their special day.
- Give your child an offering to place in the Offering plate. Remember, no offering is too small
- Once your child has been baptized, they may receive communion. After baptism, it is up to you as their parents to decide when they begin to participate in the Eucharist. (Children are welcome to come forward for a blessing instead of communion.) Our priest will teach a communion class when requested.
Note about Children: While children are welcome to stay during the whole service, a special Children’s Chapel is offered at each service. Children in grades Pre-K through 3rd leave the main service for Chapel at the Gloria and return during the Announcements.
To register your child for Sunday School, stop by the check-in desk at the bottom of the stairwell in the Education Building on any Sunday morning or contact Cheryl Smith, our Christian Education Director, at (830) 625-2532, ext. 105 or [email protected]
Children's Chapel Videos
During this time of social distancing, Children's Chapel Videos will be published on the website, YouTube, and Facebook Page at 4:00 p.m. on Sundays.